Over the past couple weeks, I've been keeping myself occupied with a variety of projects. Some I can't share . . . yet, but some I can. . .
For example. This pineapple quilt that I've been working on for quite some time - years, in fact - is done!
This quilt started as leftovers from a larger project made from a blue and brown pre-cut batik fabric pack. I added some solid cream, the Creative Grids Mini Pineapple Trim Tool and some bright blue fabric to make the blocks pop. You can follow past progress reports on the blog.
I added a border of moose print fabric in blue/gray/brown purchased on a fabulous teaching trip to Alaska a few years ago to pull it all together. Over the last several weeks I've been quilting the blocks one by one in a swirl pattern.
I know the quilt is done because it has a label, and a photo. That makes it official!
The Potential Snag
In other news, the funky, swirly blue and brown print I wanted to complete my stitch sampler finally arrived.
I'm slowly building the pieces to turn the stitch sampler I completed earlier this year into a notions case.
I used the Stitchery Crossover technique to add borders to the pouch exterior, then added some Stiff Stuff to the back and zig zagged around the edge. It could use a bit of quilting, I think, to secure the layers.
Then the cover will be done
I started building the lining and plan to add some more bands of stitching (shown on the left, in progress) and Crossover technique to the inside pockets.
To complete the project, I'm planning to add a zippered pouch with vinyl windows in the center. I haven't quite worked out those parts yet.
I have to say, I'm a little concerned about some of my stitch selections. Not that there's anything wrong with the stitches, but they may snag and break as this case is put to use. For example the blue square stitch in the left photo below is a Rhodes variation, and on the right another stitch whose name I wrote down on a piece of paper that is stored in a very safe place. (It'll turn up!)
[Update: The piece of paper is still in a 'very safe place,' however I took a picture of my stitch list and posted it to the blog. Yay! That stitch on the right is called Padded Scotch!]
Anyway, both these stitches have long stretches of threads. In our quilts, it's that button or extra-long quilting thread that tends to catch (and pull) on your toe or finger when you least expect it.
As I turn this sampler into a notions pouch those stitches will be on the outside of the pouch and may catch on other things in my craft bag.
To extend the life of those stitches, I think I might make a simple zip bag for the notions pouch. I toss the pouch in the zip bag and then toss the zip bag in my project bag or basket and all those stitches are safe, at least during transport or in between use.
I suppose I could have sewn a layer of vinyl or tulle over the stitching as I added the borders, but that ship has sailed; the borders are attached. As another alternative, I could cover the whole exterior with vinyl, however that really doesn't appeal to me. I like the texture and feel of the stitches and thread. And there is the vinyl stick-factor that may cause more issues than it helps.
A simple zipper bag may be the way to go. I'd certainly entertain any other creative ideas to protect these threads from snagging.