Taking a week off from writing this article last week allowed me some time to finally put the wraps on the stitched notions case I've been working on for an eternity! Or at least, it feels like that long!
If you have been following along, then you know this project started as a stitched sampler over a year ago, and got an important 100-day boost back around the first of this year.
This past week, I finished it up and thought you'd enjoy a quick tour of the result.
I didn't follow or create a pattern for any of this, so it's a one-of-a-kind creation!
With all the stitching on the front and back, I was concerned about threads catching as soon as I put this into use. And the plan is to use it! Therefore, I wanted to take a small precaution to keep from making a total thread nest out of the stitched panels right out of the shute.
To that end, I made a very simple vinyl pouch, sewn on three sides with a slip-in opening on one long side and bound all around. No gussets, nothing fancy, just a sleeve. Works perfectly.
Once inside the pouch, the inside flap on the left has one pocket that opens toward the middle. A good place to slip in a chart or pattern.
In the center, two identical back to back zippered pockets each with a vinyl window are bound together then sewn to the spine like a book.
Some thread bobbins and tools will likely live here.
The back inside cover has another pocket with a center-facing opening, and two separators making three smaller pockets for gadgets, needle cases or thread snips.
To keep everything inside, I added two tabs with invisible magnets.
The tabs are long enough for the pouch to expand once the pockets are filled.
So, now it's time to fill 'er up with stitchy accoutrements!
In other news
From time to time, to keep my sanity, I pull out my Nearly Insane book. The book has no instructions, only illustrations of each of about 100 different blocks drawn from a vintage quilt. I'm making the blocks in numerical order, featuring a more vibrant color scheme and Liberty prints.
I've been eyeing #25 for quite some time. That 'sorta' flying geese rectangle on the sides (outlined with red dashes) had me wondering how to piece it.
Yesterday morning, I noticed that the unit could be made as an ACTUAL flying geese unit, which is then cut in half through the point, with a 1" strip sewn between the two halves. You'll see. . .
I really don't like the look of the elongated triangles at top and bottom, so now that I have a plan for those split flying geese, I'll make four, one for each side, and replace the triangle-trio altogether.
Setting up the cut pieces took nearly all of my daily morning sewing time allotment.
I'll have to keep working on Insane block #25 in between other stuff. A few new secret FLOCK bird blocks have arrived to usurp the number one sewing priority in the morning sewing ritual.
Never a dull moment around here!