Lately, I've been focused on finishing projects that have been hanging around on my shelves. I've got plenty of projects to work on during my weekday morning sewing sessions. I know exactly where they are and what they are, and I'm excited to get back to each and every one, eventually.
But this weekend, I was shuffling around in some cabinets, attempting to create some storage space, then I found a small pile of papers with these fabric bits inside the folds. I don't even remember starting this, but with a bit of sleuthing, I determined that I must have used these partially-completed pieces as a demo at a show or shop when the book The Versatile Nine Patch was just about to be released.
Welp, I need the cabinet space, and the project was already in my hands (halfway to the sewing machine at that point), so I might as well finish up this unexpected task.
The pattern is Mix 'n' Match Mug Mats from the Nine Patch book. A mini panel of scrappy nine patch blocks along one side of an appliqued leaf block.
The bundle had enough in-progress blocks to make at least a dozen mug mats. I do enjoy using mug mats, but I don't need that many
After spreading out what I had, and scratching my head a bit, then finishing up the stitching on the nine patches, I then decided on a course of action.
To make the nine patch border, I used the Middle Scrap Grid Interfacing -- this project must have been a demonstration to feature the interfacing (it's cool stuff!).
Pretty quickly, I had enough parts to take four of the mug mats and turn them into a place mat. I go through place mats like crazy. I always have one here on my desk so my arms lean on something cozy when I use the desktop computer.
The desk gets a lot of sun, so they fade quickly. Plus, being the busy (but messy) entrepreneur, I often eat breakfast and lunch at the desk and the inevitable food-blob requires the place mats get frequent laundering.
The place mat on the left is basically four mug mats sewn together, with a small outer border added. It's turned with batting between the layers, and it just needs to be quilted.
There are enough parts left to make two more place mats, but I'm not crazy about some of the parts that are left, so I'm going to let them go to mug mat heaven.
But these purple parts will soon become a second in the 'series.'
Finding something you forgot you had can be either a good thing or a bad thing. This time, it was a good thing.
And just so you don't think the mug-mat-turned-place-mat project usurped the on-going diamond quilt. The quilt top is now done (and it's HUGE!! - about 72x105" with borders!!) and ready to be sandwiched and quilted.
Maybe I should clean out some more cabinets to see if there isn't something else, maybe a little smaller than a big quilt to be quilted, lurking there. . .