This week, I'm back to work on that purple pinwheel quilt that was only recently a box of blocks and parts.
I added three borders--two small ones to break things up and one big fat purple border that will create ample space to add applique vines and leaves using Sue Pelland's Leaves Galore cutting template.
To keep the seams to a minimum I decided to cut the largest border along the length of grain, sew the three borders together, then add the three-part borders to each side of the quilt top.
Only problem is that I decided to cut the largest border after I had already cut several selvage to selvage strips.
Eh well, I now have some nice big fat fabric strips for another project currently on my sewing table! Good thing I like purple!
Here are the three borders in place, but not pressed yet, turning the corner beautifully in a single diagonal Y-seam.
From the back, I pressed the diagonal corner seam open, and then pressed the seams between the inner border and the quilt center outward.
And there you have it!
This quilt got large in a hurry! I now have 8" dark purple borders attached to the quilt upon which I can play with adding leafy vines.
Next up: Make yards and yards of bias tape vines.
Leave a Reply