Are you a quilter who loves birds?
Or a birder who loves quilts? Then, perhaps The AfterFLOCK is for you!
The AfterFLOCK is one-of-a-kind Quilt Block Collection
Before learning about the coolest bird block quilt project ever--the AfterFLOCK--let's step back for a moment and explore its origin.
The FLOCK was a monthly membership program. Each month a complete, laser-cut, patchwork-pieced bird block kit was delivered to each member every month. Over 60 bird designs in total!
While The FLOCK--the original monthly bird block kit delivery program has ended, the AfterFLOCK continues the fun! The same great block kits, with a slightly different spin.
What was The FLOCK?
It was, and still is, all about the birds!
- An innovative monthly membership program that ran for five years, from January 2018 through December 2022
- Patchwork pieced blocks, with a little bit of machine applique. All the detail of paper piecing without the paper
- Precision, laser-cut 100% quilt shop quality, cotton fabric
- Detailed pattern and tips along with a Practice Unit to make in every kit
- Exclusive tutorials and bonus content
- Fabric shapes that would otherwise be difficult to cut are ready to sew
- A PDF format full-size template set arrives a week or so after your mailed kit so you can create replacement parts or a whole new block
- Open the package and sew
- An active Facebook group where members and past members interact and share project ideas
- Collectible! A new bird each month. More than 60 blocks in total!
- FUN and Challenging!
What it was not:
- A standard Block-of-the-Month program with a defined start and end date
- Detailed cutting instructions and supply lists
- It's not a defined plan for a specific quilt pattern. There is no 'everyone makes this' quilt plan.
Thank you for this month's bird, the Roadrunner completes my bird set for a southwest bird quilt JUST FOR ME! Now, I have to get busy on it. - Kristine Prass, Arizona
What is The AfterFLOCK?
How is it different from The FLOCK?
The AfterFLOCK is The FLOCK with a few fabulous tweaks!
Just like before, The AfterFLOCK is a membership program, one pre-cut and ready-to-sew bird block kit delivered to your door each month. No cutting, no measuring, no digging for just the right fabric color.
You get to CHOOSE which birds you receive each month.
Once your payment is automatically withdrawn, choose from any of the 60 original in-stock FLOCK bird block kits to build a quilt from your favorite bird patterns. Over sixty bird blocks to choose from!
Choose only the birds you want for your quilt project or assemble the complete collection--one block and one month at a time. Save up to make one giant project or several small ones.
- Sign up once, then choose your kit! Your monthly kit will ship within a week of your selection order
- Choose from any of the in-stock FLOCK kits each month. To start or to add to your collection
- No waiting! Your kit ships within a few days of your membership renewal, as long as you make your kit selection order in a timely manner.
- Join the Facebook group for tips and inspiration
Important! Please note that as an AfterFLOCK member, you agree to make your online monthly block selection request/order as soon as possible following your membership renewal. Please note, to avoid multiple unfilled orders, if a selection order is not placed within 7 days of the monthly payment membership may be placed on hold until a selection order is completed. CLICK HERE to review the renewal steps.
How does The AfterFLOCK work?
It's easy to Get Started with your Membership in The AfterFLOCK
Once you complete your membership purchase, you'll receive a follow up email so you can select the block kit you want that month. You can choose according to size--the blocks vary in size, most are 8x8" square, but some are larger or smaller, and some are rectangular to accommodate the bird's shape.
You can build your collection based on a theme--all songbirds, for example, only waterfowl or raptors, or just pick your favorites--and build your collection one month at a time.
Monthly bird selections are made online following a two-part process. CLICK HERE to review the kit selection steps. If you're not comfortable with this proceedure, The After FLOCK may not be for you.
In addition, the blocks may vary in difficulty from kit to kit. Way back when The FLOCK was in its test stage, The Beta-Birdies--the small group of quilters who tested the systems and patterns prior to the first block release--agreed that the American Robin is a good representation of the blocks in the series, and its a classic with fewer and larger pieces than some blocks may have.
IMPORTANT: Because the laser-cut pieces are a little unusual, I like to recommend that the American Robin is a good place to start for your first kit.
To make a wish list and track your purchases, start with a complete list of all the original bird blocks.
CLICK HERE to download the December 2022 Life List detailing all the bird block designs.
Can I collect the kits without joining?
Coming in 2023!
What can I do with all these blocks once I have them?
- Put them into a quilt or a variety of quilted projects
- Totes, table toppers, lap quilts, bed quilts, tea cozies, sewing machine covers. . .you name it.
Coming in 2023, The Big Day Quilt pattern turns your blocks into a unique quilt layout. This pattern has it all--assembly tips for blocks that are slightly too big or too small, fabric requirement for quilted projects for up to 15 different sizes - table runner through king-sized.
The Big Day Quilt pattern is an optional, not a required completion setting project for your FLOCK blocks. What you do with your FLOCK blocks is and always has been entirely up to you! Let creativity be your inspiration!
No matter what, first, collect and make your blocks and get ready for a fabulous quilt project in 2023 and beyond!
Right now I’m on a cross country camping trip and have been keeping track of the birds I’ve heard and seen. . . .Yesterday this beautiful blue crested bird landed in the tree right outside my window. It was a Steller's Jay. That sounded really familiar, then I remembered that it is one of the Flock kits! I decided to look through all of my Flock kits when I get home and make all of them that I’ve heard and seen on this trip into a quilt which will honor my brother’s memory--he was the birder in the family. I just wanted to let you know how I’ll be using some of the kits, and to thank you for making it possible. - Pat Santner, Vermont
Join The AfterFLOCK!
Included in your monthly plan:
- Full-color, detailed pattern.
- Precision pre-cut fabrics, curated to represent each bird species.
- Precision pre-cut and pre-fused fabrics for applique pieces required for the block construction. Generally speaking, the blocks are patchwork pieced. Every kit includes a small amount of fusible applique for details like eyes, feet, markings, or tree branches.
- A Practice Unit to make. Included with EACH block kit. The Practice unit includes fabric, detailed practice unit pattern, and tips for a successful piecing experience with the laser cut blocks. The practice unit is a good way to warm up before you dive into the block construction.
- Full-sized templates sent via email approximately one week after your monthly shipment. Use the templates to replace an element, due to a sewing error, or make an additional block or blocks from your stash.
- Access to exclusive content and tutorials
The monthly rate for all the benefits listed above for The AfterFLOCK is $32.95 per month. Your monthly membership fee will renew automatically. You may stop at any time.
Please note, you may end your membership at any time, but your most recent purchase, whether or not it has shipped, will be your last one. So plan ahead as no refunds, exchanges, or returns are allowed.
Your membership becomes active right away, and unlike The FLOCK where you might have had to wait up to three or four weeks for your kit to ship, your kit will ship within a few days of your first order and monthly renewal. Access tips and groups to join the fun right away. Select any of the in-stock kits like the Burrowing Owls (on the right).
IMPORTANT, once you join you will receive a reminder notice in your email in box to select your bird block choice for the month. Please make your kit selection as quickly as possible! Your card will be charged on the same date each month.
I wasn't sure what your kit would be like but I am fascinated by it. I've made a couple of beautiful laser precut applique quilts but I've never pieced precut pieces. - Deirdre Kann, New Mexico
The FLOCK Lite
Another Option to Join the FUN
What if you want to join The AfterFLOCK, but you don't mind cutting or choosing the fabrics?
The FLOCK Lite could be perfect for you
The FLOCK lite is also a monthly membership program-- the same detailed bird block patterns as The FLOCK, delivered each month in PDF format, one year after the original kit pattern was released in print and kit format to the original FLOCK.
There is no hard-and-fast start date and no hard-and-fast end date to The FLOCK Lite.
What The FLOCK Lite IS:
It's all about the birds!
- An innovative monthly membership program from the Hummingbird Highway
- A new pattern and template set in PDF format each month for a block representing a bird species from anywhere in the world
- Patchwork pieced blocks, with a little bit of machine applique for beaks, eyes, and feet
- All the detail of paper piecing without the paper
- Detailed full-color pattern in PDF format delivered to your email each month
- Full size templates in PDF format delivered to your e-mail address within minutes of your purchase
- Tips and instructions for a Practice Unit
- Template pattern shapes along with instructions for an easy freezer paper method for precision rotary cutting
- Templates for a new patchwork-pieced bird block each month
- FUN and Challenging!
What The FLOCK Lite ISN'T:
It's not a standard Block-of-the-Month program with a defined start and end date
It's not a defined plan for a specific quilt pattern. There is no 'everyone makes this' quilt setting layout plan. However, your membership includes periodic setting suggestions and bonus layout patterns.
From month to month the blocks vary in size--most of the blocks are 8x8" square, some are larger or smaller and some are rectangles--to accommodate a variety of bird species.
Please note that The FLOCK Lite relies on template shapes to create the varied block pieced elements. Tips to use printable freezer paper to rotary cut pieces are included with each pattern. Monthly patterns are delivered in a specific series order, unfortunately exchanges or substitutes are not allowed.
Join The FLOCK Lite
Included in your monthly plan:
- Full-color, detailed pattern in PDF format delivered to your e-mail moments after your purchase is confirmed in PDF format.
- Full-sized templates in PDF format sent via email approximately one week after the monthly shipment. Use the templates to replace an element, if needed, due to a sewing error, or make an entire block or blocks from your stash.
- Instructions for a Practice Unit to make along with tips for the successful construction of each block
- Access to exclusive content and tutorials
- Access additional block pattern files to purchase at members-only pricing.
The monthly rate which provides access to all the benefits listed above for The FLOCK is $14.95 per month. The subscription will renew automatically. You may stop at any time.
Join! Your membership becomes active right away, and you'll receive your PDF files almost immediately after your purchase is confirmed. Access to exclusive content and previously-released pattern downloads at members-only pricing begins immediately.
Note that your credit card will be charged on the same date each month and your block delivery will occur shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, we can not issue refunds for delivered patterns.
If The FLOCK Lite sounds interesting, but you'd rather get right to sewing when your kit arrives, perhaps The AfterFLOCK is a better choice for you