Already a Member of The FLOCK?
CLICK HERE to access your account information or to change your password.
Not a Member? Perhaps You’d Like to Know More!
Are you a quilter who loves birds? Or a birder who loves quilts? Then, perhaps The FLOCK is for you!
The FLOCK is one-of-a-kind Quilt Block Program
The FLOCK is a monthly membership program–one detailed bird block kit delivered to your mailbox each month. The kit is 100% precision laser pre-cut and ready to sew. The first official block kit was delivered in January 2018, but no one is ‘behind’ and it’s not too late to get started!
There is no hard-and-fast start date and no hard-and-fast end date to The FLOCK.
– An innovative monthly membership program from the Hummingbird Highway
– A new kit each month for a block representing a bird species from anywhere in the world
– Patchwork pieced blocks, with a little bit of machine applique
– All the detail of paper piecing without the paper
– Precision, laser cut 100% cotton fabric pieces. Applique pieces are also precision-cut AND pre-fused
– Detailed pattern and tips along with a Practice Unit to make each month
– Open the package and sew
– FUN and Challenging!
– A standard Block-of-the-Month program with a defined start and end date
– Detailed cutting instructions and supply lists
– No paper, no preparation, no searching for the right fabrics
– It’s not a defined plan for a specific quilt pattern. There is no ‘everyone makes this’ quilt setting layout plan. However, your membership includes periodic setting suggestions and bonus layout patterns.
It’s all about the BIRDS
Fabric shapes that would otherwise be difficult to cut are precision-cut, included in your kit, and ready to sew. The blocks, representing a variety of bird species, are pieced, not paper-pieced or appliqued (although most blocks will include a small amount of applique for details like eyes, feet, and small features).
– Open the package and sew!
– Lots of extras – including a complete Practice Unit, with fabric, instructions, and tips – to make each month.
– Exclusive tutorials and bonus content.
– Have a little sewing mishap? (Happens to all of us!) Full-sized templates sent via email are included with your subscription.
– A different bird block each month to make and collect!
– A non-Facebook online community for members to share ideas, FLOCK projects, and ideas
The blocks are patchwork, with a few pieces of machine applique for beaks, eyes, and feet, mostly. Applique pieces are pre-fused and pre-cut.
No doubt about it. . .some pieces are small! It’s okay if that makes you a little nervous (you’ll be fine, I promise!), but if you are feeling the sweat pouring from your brow right now, maybe this isn’t for you. And that’s okay.
3 Options to Get Started
From month to month the blocks will vary in size — most of the blocks are 8×8″ square, but block sizes may be different – some will be larger and some smaller to accommodate a variety of bird species. After all, it would be rather uncomfortable for an ostrich if it had to fit into the same size block that a chickadee would fit into, wouldn’t it?
In addition, the blocks may vary in difficulty from month to month. The Beta-Birdies – the small group of quilters who sewed blocks for the three months prior to The FLOCK launch in January 2018 – agreed that the American Robin is a good representation of the blocks in the series, and it’s a classic with fewer and larger pieces than some blocks may have. I like to recommend that the American Robin is a good place to start.
Therefore, you may choose from three options to start your membership.
– The American Robin kit block PLUS the newest block kit for the first month
– The American Robin kit ONLY for the first month
– The newest bird block kit ONLY for the first month
After the first month, your membership will continue with the new bird block kit shipped per month. The new bird for the month isn’t revealed before it is shipped.
Join The FLOCK
Included in your monthly plan:
– Full-color, detailed pattern.
– Precision pre-cut fabrics, curated to represent each bird species.
– Precision pre-cut and pre-fused fabrics for applique pieces required for the block construction. Generally speaking, the blocks are patchwork pieced. Sometimes a minimal amount of fusible applique is needed to fill in details like eyes, special markings or tree branches.
– A Practice Unit to make. Included with EACH block kit, EACH month. The Practice unit includes fabric, detailed practice unit pattern, and tips for a successful piecing experience with the laser cut blocks.
– Full-sized templates sent via email approximately one week after the monthly shipment. Use the templates to replace an element, if needed, due to a sewing error, or make an entire block or blocks from your stash.
– Access to exclusive content and tutorials
– Access additional block kits to purchase. Current and past blocks are ONLY available to members to The FLOCK.
The monthly rate which provides access to all the benefits listed above for The FLOCK is $29.95 per month. The subscription will renew automatically. You may stop at any time.
Join! Your membership becomes active right away, and you’ll receive access to exclusive content and kits for blocks that preceded the start of your plan, including the Gray Catbird and the Tufted Titmouse (on the right). Only members can access these extra goodies.
IMPORTANT, regardless of when you join, if you join The FLOCK by the 10th of the month, your first blocks will be mailed on or around the 12th of that month. Note that, while your credit card will be charged, you won’t receive shipment notification for your order until the monthly block is shipped (around the 12th of the month). Members who join after the 10th of the month will receive their first block in the following month’s block shipment. Your card will be charged on the same date each month. Every effort will be made to keep the newest bird from being revealed online until after it arrives in your mailbox.
Send us a message.