Last week, I had the audacity to take a long-overdue look at what was lurking on the many rungs of a laundry/storage rack in my basement work room.
I 'discovered' a number of quilt tops ready or nearly-ready to be quilted, many of them long forgotten. Then and there, I firmly committed to myself and to you that there was 'low-hanging fruit' to be finished. I'm sharing my progress toward that goal this week.
First, before I could tackle the 'rack,' I needed to finish the quilting on the border for this project.
The long-forgotten blocks emerged from a storage box last year and became a small quilt using the Big Day Pattern.
After picking out the border quilting I started and didn't like, I set the project aside for 'another day.'
Another day came, and the border, and binding are now done. It just needs a name and a label and this one is done. Check!
Remember the Diamond quilt project from last year? Way back when, the pattern frustrated me, and the parts to this quilt ended up in a box on the shelf for years. The quilt is done now. The last piece that needed to be completed was the label. Easy! Check!
More recently, toward the end of last year, I targeted a box of 1-1/2" squares and scrappy strips with a simple pattern based on the log cabin block. As of about a week ago, it was basically done, except for binding and . . .
. . . a label.
Check and Check!
Now we're hitting some pay dirt. This project was on 'the rack' as a quilt top and backing material. According to the backing selvage, this was from a line by Mary Engelbreit, copyright 2008!! This week, I seamed the backing, sandwiched, pin-based, and nearly finished the quilting. Check, Check, and almost Check!
A closer look at the quilting shows that I'm taking advantage of some tools to quilt the vertical lines.
I do love drawing guidelines that will disappear on their own using my disappearing ink pen. The wavy decorative stitch is alternated with straight lines (to come, in this photo)
Another one from 'the rack.' This quilt top has been hanging around (literally) forEVER! It's pin-based now, and it's on deck for quilting. Check and almost Check!
And one more from the way-back machine and 'the rack.' Just a quilt center a week ago. Borders selected and added. Backing seamed. Ready for sandwiching and pin-basting. Almost Check!
Here's 'the rack' now (below). After all the 'checking' going on, it's starting to look much more reasonable, but not empty.
That quilt top on the top rung is my FLOCK Big Day Quilt sample that needs some quilting inspiration. The leafy thing hiding out in the middle is a potential small quilt pattern that never made it to paper.
There is one thing hiding on that back bottom rung that may just go back to the earth (it's an idea that went wa-a-ay wrong) and the thing at the bottom front is a made from a shop hop pattern from quite some time ago. It's pretty and maybe has some potential for a pdf pattern release, but it has to be quilted first.
The two done-done quilts (the diamonds and scrappy log cabin) are folded up and ready to move on to Sleep in Heavenly Peace. Three additional quilts (the M.E. quilt, the scrappy HST one, and the heavily pieced one with the purple borders) are well on their way to that stack (and out of my house!!)
Check! (That one was just because)